Herbs for Winter Immunity
Taught by Dawn Petter
With a passion and vast knowledge of herbs and a prolific career in design, Herbalist, Dawn Petter teaches classes about the art of plant based healing. Her classes are imaginative and accessible and are taught to encourage students to use herbal medicine in their daily lives. She incorporates her training from Arbor Vitae School of Traditional Herbalism with her natural creative flare. Dawn works as a Clinical Herbalist and Flower essence Practitioner in NYC and offers in depth consults by appointment. You can also find her, leading herb walks and teaching classes at The New York Botanic Gardens, The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, The Horticultural Society of New York, The 92 Y, and the New York Open Center amongst other places.
Dawn is the creator of Petalune Herbals, a resource for hand crafted herbal skincare and luxury botanical products. To learn more visit www.petaluneherbals.com or contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
In this class we will learn how to strengthen our immunity in preparation for the cold and flu season. Several traditional recipes will be demonstrated, and the herbal actions of each ingredient will be discussed.
- An immune boosting broth using astragalus and shiitake.
- A nourishing herbal tonic using elderberries
- "Fire Cider", a traditional recipe using garlic, onions, turmeric, horseradish and raw apple cider vinegar. Strong enough to ward off any cold!
- An antimicrobial infused honey using thyme.
- How to make an overnight antimicrobial onion syrup
- How and when to use herbs such as echinacea and boneset.
This topic is vast so the above recipes are a lovely way to become more conscious of how you can take care of a cold without running to Duane Reade!
(class size: 15-20, lecture, demo + tastings)