Bookbinding from Home: Pamphlet Stitch
Taught by Kelly Laughlin
Kelly Laughlin is a multidisciplinary artist and educator who focuses on the playful, meditative acts of making. She believes every person is capable of living a creative life. Kelly is the founder of Odette Press, a paper marbling and bookbinding studio focused on specialty papers, books, and stationery, created with the intention to support self discovery and healing through the act of writing.
Location: Online Class
A journal can be a blank canvas, a space for emotions and potential, a garden plot for the seeds of your thoughts and dreams. In this class, empower your creative practice as you craft yourself a simple, pamphlet stitched book with blank pages and explore how to create a journal using materials from around your home (no need to head to the art supply store). We'll end with a brief discussion of how a journal can be a place for the practices of noticing, awareness, and self caring.
- Paper (thinner papers like copy paper or lined paper work well)
- Cardstock (or old folders, construction paper, cereal boxes )
- A needle
- Thread (bookbinding thread or embroidery floss or dental floss)
- Something to poke holes (an awl, a nail, a safety pin, a pen or pencil)
- Collage materials (magazines, paper, paint)
- Bone folder (or a butter knife)
- Exacto Knife
- Binder clips or paper clips